Sunday, September 20, 2015

"You Can Leave When You Want To"

At Northwestern, I joined a dream club, in which we all wrote down our dreams and then shared them in the group. At least that was that theory. I only attended a couple of meetings. But I’d been logging my dreams even before that, beginning with one in which I turned into Agnetha Fältskog from Abba. I still do it, when I remember them. A few times, I have turned dreams into songs, and this is one of them.

You Can Leave When You Want To

© 1984 Brian Hutzell

Gonna be late, hurry up
You can drink your coffee on the train
The boss can't wait, so pour another cup
For this job you've got to be awake
But sleep, sleep
You can leave the world when you want to
Just sleep, sleep
You can go wherever you want to
In a dream, dream
Aaah, dream, dream

Sitting on the porch in a lawn chair
When the chair lifted up to the sky
And I let it go and floated on because I'd died
And it felt so easy not to live anymore

And I could look down on the living till the Earth disappeared
And only the stars surrounded me
No one was there to guide me
All my questions went unanswered
So I went to sleep, sleep, aaah

And when I awoke I was in the bedroom I grew up in
My parents were sitting in the dining room
Calling me to breakfast
Gonna be late, hurry up
You can drink your orange juice on the bus
School can't wait, button up your coat
Test today; you've got to get an "A"
Don't cry, don't die
You can leave the world when you want to
But it won't do you any good
Aaaah



"Octopush 5"

Brian Hutzell

No comments: