Sunday, September 06, 2015

"December Blue"

After leaving Berklee, I roomed with Wally and Dave in the top-floor of a three-flat in Revere, MA. When my two roommates decided to leave the area, I moved to a tiny efficiency apartment in Boston’s South End. I paid $275 a month. I should not have left that apartment. The price was right and the location was perfect. Making an unnecessary and ill-timed move is a mistake I’ve made over and over and over again.

December Blue

© 1984 Brian Hutzell

Night in a cold apartment
Wrapped in a homemade quilt
Outside the weather's violence
Inside my coffee, spilt
The sheepskin rug needs sweeping
The linoleum needs it too
Not one for neat housekeeping
Not one who's well-to-do.

I live in downtown Boston
A single dimly-lit room
Chattering teeth's percussion
Accompanies my shivering tune
Lonely in my discomfort
Wishing I had a friend
Wishing it was summer
Dreaming of winter’s end.

Winter's indoor confinement
Nearly driving me mad
Feel like I'm on an island
Lost in a desolate land
Suffering a common illness
Bad case of December Blues
Faces growing cheerless
As autumn fades from view



No comments: