Saturday, September 05, 2015

"Decaffeination"

The first time I ever tried coffee, I hated it. I tried it black. Then I tried it with cream and sugar. That was worse. That was when I was in junior high. Speed forward to the summer of 1984, and I’m working at Ruggles Pizza in Boston. It’s an extremely hot summer, and the restaurant’s air conditioning is broken. In the kitchen, we are working around 750° ovens. The drink that we are all guzzling is ice coffee with lots of cream. It’s delicious! And I’ve been hooked on coffee ever since…as long as it doesn’t have sugar in it.

Decaffeination

© 1984 Brian Hutzell

I get up in the morning
Every day of my life
And sit before a breakfast
Made for me by my wife
Some cereal, some buttered toast
A vitamin pill
And in a cup, the vital link:
The nectar from Brazil

I take it hot and strong and black
Supplying energy I lack
But then the day I should have foreseen:
She tried to give me coffee without the caffeine
Where's the bean?

She wants to decaffeinate me
She's trying to make me healthy
Next it’s little instant packets
Then, then it’s herbal
Then it’s herbal tea
You can’t wake up to chamomile
Better the bitter espresso
Or a cultural cappuccino

She hides my caffeine
Pretty soon I’m hooked on speed

"Steaming Brian"

Brian Hutzell
from "Brand New Bouncing Suit"

No comments: