Sunday, September 13, 2015

"Driving Home"

This was a song I wrote for Plastic Mikey. It continued Kevin’s concept of minimalist songs, containing only one or, in this case, two chords. The song’s momentum relies not on chords but on lyrics and melody, and I’m pretty happy with the way this one turned out. The only recording I have of it is a VERY rough demo. The lyrics were written while driving in Chicago.


Driving Home

© 1995 Brian Hutzell

Yellow sliver in the sky
Artificial wind in my eye
I’m driving home, driving home

Red lights everywhere
Scent of chocolate in the air
I’m driving home, driving home

The antenna on my car’s been snapped
So the radio reception’s crap
I’ve got directions; I’ve got a map
And dozens of signs to tell me where I’m at
Lest I forget this route I’ve driven so often
I might forget

Familiar landmarks disappear
My tires turn, but I can’t steer
The markings on the road aren’t clear
Gotta find someplace to stop ‘round here
Lest I get lost in these streets that I’ve forgotten
I could get lost
On my way home
I’m driving home, driving home

I struggle to regain control
But I hit a bump and start to roll
Then I’m falling through a giant hole
And suddenly I realize this is home
This is my home

How did I miss the decline into this?
It wasn’t always so
The change was gradual and slow
And I wish I’d taken the time to see what was happening
To my home
When driving home to my beautiful home



Kevin Dempsey and Brian Hutzell


No comments: