Sunday, September 13, 2015

"Dry Toast Days"

One of the many songs that I wrote early on in my Boston days. The lyrics are a poem by my longtime pen-pal, Becky Talmadge. I wish I had recordings of all of my songs, but I don’t. Maybe someday…

Dry Toast Days

© 1985 Brian Hutzell & Rebecca Talmadge

I have exposed my feelings
Told you me fears
I have recorded
One hundred heartfelt “I love you’s”
On scented stationary
And sent in standard envelopes
Each bearing a twenty-cent stamp
Turned upside-down

I have mixed the sweet thought of you
With sentiment in my mind
And made marmalade to spread
On my dry toast days.

And reading your reply
I have created connotations to suit my needs
Every detail of your letters
Tells me that you miss me
As much as I miss you
Liberal interpretation is the privilege of long-distance.

On rainy days
I take out all of your letters
From the drawer in my dresser reserved for them
And mix them with my tears
To make marmalade to spread
On my dry toast days



No comments: