Tuesday, September 29, 2015

"Witness"

This song comes from a copyright collection called “In Case of Fizzle.” The title refers to the fact that the band JEREMIAH was on its last legs, and its survival was not at all certain. We did one last batch of recordings at Normandy Sound, with Phil Greene engineering and producing. The result: nothing. We broke up. The last incarnation of the band included Ron Ward on bass. Ron recently passed away, and it still seems unreal. He was just a few years older than I. Now I am trying to reinvent myself as an academic, and I’m not sure if it’s working or not. I’m reading and writing a lot, but am I really learning anything? Am I preparing myself for success?

Current listening: Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

Witness


© 1986 Brian Hutzell

You were there
You saw it all
You could have solved the mystery
You were scared
You never called
Another hole in history
Witness, scared shitless

You were called late at night
A threat to keep you quiet
You were told to testify
You know the truth but hide it
Witness lost interest
Witness, stay with us
Witness, it's serious business

"Hey, I understand: you don't want to get involved."
            It takes time
            It takes courage
"Just call me a chicken"
            It takes someone to speak out
"Listen to the words!"
Witness won't listen
Witness won't witness

Walking home you were attacked
You screamed to passers-by
You were ignored
Stabbed in the back
How dare you wonder why
Witness, now victim
Victim needs witness
Chicken, not witness
Victim of justice



"Doonesbirdie"

Brian Hutzell

No comments: