Monday, September 07, 2015

"Des Moines"

As a kid, I always enjoyed the fact that while most of my classmates were Des Moines natives, I was born in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Des Moines and I have a long and complicated history, not always a happy one. I’m quick to defend Des Moines when out-of-staters who’ve never been here trash it, but I’m the first to complain about it to other locals. The frustrating thing about Des Moines is that it should be so much more. The location is ideal, the area is attractive, and in spite of rumors to the contrary, there is quite a bit of culture and plenty to do. But as a metropolis, it is far behind nearby Minneapolis, and seems content to remain so. Des Moines is a city of broken promises and wasted potential. Just like me. We’re both working on it.

Des Moines
a song collection by Brian Hutzell
© Brian Hutzell 2004

1.             Something Better
2.            All About Time
3.            In The Water
4.            Speak Another Language
5.            Just Carry On
6.            Victory
7.            Dick Clark Is Aging!
8.           Onstage
9.            It Can’t Be Done
10.        Get Up




No comments: