Saturday, September 05, 2015

"Dark Dank Cells"

I wrote a lot of the Plastic Mikey lyrics while on a visit with my parents to Grandma and Grandpa Barta’s home in Waterloo, IA. All of my grandparents are gone now, but I was fortunate to know them all well, whereas I had friends in school who had only known one or two or none of their grandparents. I even met three of my great-grandparents, though I only remember one of them, the inimitable Great-Grandma Douglass. I’m sorry none of them got to see me successful. So far, no one has seen me successful, but I’m working on it!

Dark Dank Cells

© 1994 Kevin Dempsey and Brian Hutzell

I've done nothing wrong; I've done plenty wrong
Believing I was weak, pretending I was strong
Listening to you, thinking it was true
Trying to ignore what I already knew

That's when I fell into my dark dank cell

I let you make the rules, and followed them like a fool
You broke them then you took me by the hand and led me to
A prison that I built with misdirected guilt
Any jury would agree that I'm innocent, but still…

Here I dwell in my dark dank cell

I'm willing to share
It's only fair
My dark dank cell
I hope you accept
'Cause it's time you slept
In my dark dank cell

I'm going to rebel in my dark dank cell
Escape from hell--this dark dank cell

Let me tell you of my dark dank cell
Can you smell my dark dank cell?



"MIP19-Striped Shirt"

Brian Hutzell
from "MMXIII Variations"

No comments: