Sunday, September 06, 2015

"Delays"

This is from my 1986 recording “Reruns,” which is still one of my favorites. I remember arranging the drum parts for the Roland TR-808 on the Boston T Red Line and on the 94 bus to Medford. If I could go back to give my 1986 self some advice, it would be, “Stay the course! You’re on the right track! Don’t give up!” Even though I’m in a totally different place in my life now, doing totally different things, and pursuing very different goals, the advice I should give to myself is still the same.

Delays

© 1985 Brian Hutzell

The argument goes on and on as always
And the delays and the questions are still with us
Pretty soon, it'll be pretty soon
I keep telling myself no more waiting
It's the end of the honeymoon
I keep telling myself no more delays

The fantasy is still alive but fading
And the days of deciding are frightening
Pretty soon it'll come to an end
I'm not holding my breath but losing patience
Push it back one more week, not again
I keep telling myself no more delays

The expectations rise then fall
They stumble
And the fear of failure grows greater
"Did I make final cut, did I break?"
Won't believe it until I see contracts
Losing faith, but I can't lose it all
Keep telling myself no more delays

"1983 Islands"

Brian Hutzell

No comments: