Saturday, October 17, 2015

"Traveling Alone"

If I were writing this song today, I would use a different name for the woman. These days, as whenever anyone hears “Hillary,” they automatically think of Hillary Clinton, and this is not a political song in any way. Author’s note: in this edition of the lyrics, I’ve switched from my original travellin’ to the more proper traveling.

Traveling Alone

© 1994 Brian Hutzell

There she is: the woman I love, and I don’t even know her
We share the same bed, but she’s nowhere near me tonight
And I feel discontented ‘cause we live so disconnected
Strangers in the space we occupy

Hillary don’t know that I’ve been traveling alone
She hasn’t noticed ‘cause she’s hardly ever home
Is it any wonder I’ve been traveling alone?
I get so lonely and I’ve got so far to go

There she is: a woman in love, with nobody to hold her
So many would like to, but they never get the chance
And she feels she’s been neglected, but her thoughts go undetected
No one wants to be the first to try

Hillary don’t know that she’s been traveling alone
She hasn’t noticed ‘cause the lights are kept so low
Is it any wonder she’s been traveling alone?
Hardly time for loneliness when she’s always on the go

We focus on our separate goals
Priorities and promises to keep
But wouldn’t it be good to touch a kindred soul?
And wouldn't it be nice to get some sleep?

There it is: the shelter we seek, but we never go near it
The stronger the need, the deeper the urge to resist
So we claim we're unaffected by the solitude we’ve selected
And rarely look the problem in the eye

Hillary, please tell me why we’re traveling alone
Haven’t you noticed how the weather got so cold?
Is it even possible to be traveling so alone?
Let’s not be lonely when we’ve got so far to go


"Page 5"

Brian Hutzell

No comments: