Saturday, October 24, 2015

"There Is a Lady"

Pre-Sondheim, a Broadway song was considered successful if it could be pulled from the show and stand alone as a hit. These days, with so much emphasis on fully integrated scores, it’s a rare song that can be pulled from a modern musical and retain any legs on which to stand. Most of my score for A Heart Calls Quietly fits the latter description, but I included a few songs that I wanted to be able to have a life outside of the context of the show. Not surprisingly, those are the songs hardcore theatre folks hate, but pop people like. This is one of those songs designed to be capable of breathing on its own. It was recorded as part of my original 4-song demo for the show, but I was never very happy with the way it came out. The other three songs (the title song, “Anything,” and “That’s What I’ve Been Told”) fared better.

There Is a Lady


© 1989 Brian Hutzell

I believe I make it seem like I never fall from my duty
It's my routine; it's my resolve
I attempted to live a life of solitude
Once contented, but now that's not my mood

There is a lady
Her name is Muriel
And I have never felt a love so real
My heart is aching for Lady Muriel
And still I'm afraid to tell her how I feel

You're aware how much I care
Now I've let you in to my secret
And you see what a state I'm in
If I take it into my head to read awhile
Every page is a picture of her smile

There is a lady
And she is everywhere
In dreams, I find her there
For me she waits
Then I'm embracing my Lady Muriel
My fears are overwhelmed till morning breaks

And how you're saying
Why am I still alone?
No reason can I show for staying away
From such a lady as Lady Muriel
Defenses: I have none
Excuses: only one
She's my first love!


No comments: