Monday, June 29, 2015

"Chatting On The Subway"

My first, and to date only, original full-length musical is “A Heart Calls Quietly.” I had several follow-ups planned and started. This was to be the opening number of one of them. Imagine each verse sung by a different person or set of people, until they all join together on the final verse. Neither this show, nor any of the others I started around the same time, was completed…yet. I did finish three children’s musicals in collaboration with Carol Smith: “The Dancing Princesses,” “Brave Little Tailor,” and “Hansel and Gretel.” Only the first of those was every produced on stage.

One humorous incident occurred around the time “A Heart Calls Quietly” was produced. A newspaper interviewed me about the show. (An original musical was sort of a big deal at the time in Des Moines, Iowa.) I explained to the interviewer that I had written the book, music and lyrics to the show as well as arranging and recording all of the music. The interviewer asked me how I found the time to do all that while at the same time going to college and working a job. I answered, “I stay up late and drink a lot of coffee.” The paper printed my reply as: “I stay up late and drink a lot.” My first experience with the press, and I was misquoted! I remember being angry at the time, but now it makes for an amusing anecdote.


Chatting On The Subway

© Brian Hutzell 1989

It sure was nice to see the Nelsons
They looked so happy in their new apartment
A pleasant dinner at the Nelsons
It's nice to know we've got good friends
Wasn't it nice they had us over?
Don't you think so?
I do
It's nice to know they're doing well
They've got a comfortable home
But the night is nearly over and it's off to our own

They gave me quite a lovely party
I know I'm going to enjoy my retirement
And on my parting day we partied
It's nice to know I've still got friends
What'll I do with all my spare time?
Will I love it?
I will
I've got books to read, places to see
My leisure life can begin
Now my working days are over and it's time to turn in

Beginning a new job is a little exciting
But things went well and my nerves have settled
What'll I do with all the money?
Will I save it?
Or spend?
Save would be best
Mom will insist
I guess my childhood's almost over
Now that I'm working
My real life begins

A happy one-year anniversary
One year ago tonight we started dating
You took me to a lousy movie
We've graduated to a play
Hasn't it been a happy evening?
Do you love me?
I do
And pretty soon we'll graduate
There's not much longer to go
College days are almost over and we're out on our own

Beginning a new year is a little exciting
We're doing well, feeling secure and settled
I can do all of the exotic things I've wanted to do
Buy some new shoes to wear to school
Now the night is nearly over
It's been a good day
It's been a good day




No comments: