Friday, June 19, 2015

"Among Memories" with commentary

“Among Memories” is a short unconventional song, but one of my favorites. I think this one was probably written in Boston’s South End, in my tiny Pembroke Street apartment. I had been dabbling in songwriting since I was quite young, but I really started working on it in earnest in 1983-4. I was certain the 1980s would be my decade to shine as a pop star, but that was not to be.

Among Memories

© 1985 Brian Hutzell & Rebecca Talmadge

Mem’ries
Buried beneath the lid
Of a miniature cedar chest
Packed and restless
Within their dusty tomb.

She used to dance among the leaves
A child in gold-leaf glory
She laughed with green eyes glowing
A bursting beam of light.

But autumn leaves have fallen thrice
And blown among the tombstones
Since last I saw her cheerful face
Whose image fades before me
So strangely pale the ghosts now leave
To follow death-stare gazes
Beckoned back into their box
Laid to rest forever



No comments: