Monday, December 07, 2015

"One 2 One"


What a pleasant surprise! I had completely forgotten this one, and here I am reading it and liking it. I’ve often thought artists were terrible judges of their own work. In interviews, it seems they always think their best work is the stuff I think is their worst. Maybe I’m equally bad at judging my own work. It is indeed true that some of my favorites among my own songs are the very ones people tend to NOT like. I also have a way of being a few years behind the curve. In the case of my music career, I’m a few decades behind the curve. When I am running low on words, I might sometimes slip in a non sequitur just to see if anyone is paying attention. There were two squirrels playing outside our living room window earlier today. I once saw Michael Jordan score over 50 points in a single game. It was the only time I’ve ever seen an NBA game in person. Bulls versus Nicks at the United Center in Chicago. We saw Spike Lee there. Bulls won.


One 2 One

© 1994 Brian Hutzell

You used to go to picture shows
And felt no need for company
You didn’t care that no one shared
The meals you cooked until you looked

And she was there; now you’re a pair
No longer one, no longer one

She's at your side in troubled times
And when she’s not, there’s still the thought
Now and then, she’s just a friend
It’s not too much, but just enough

Two lines converge; their boundaries merge
Now you've become not two, but one

Now there are no more lonely nights
No more solo flights
And for solitaire, you need an extra chair
It’s sometimes hard to find solitude of any kind
And you need a room to tell your secrets to

But you would miss her frequent kiss
If she should go away alone
Perhaps you’d cry and wonder why
A love so great should separate

Take one from two--there’s only you
Leaving you one: the only one



No comments: