Thursday, December 31, 2015

"No"


I wrote a song called “Yes,” so why not write one called “No?” Actually, one of my resolutions for 2016 is to say “Yes” much more often. Today is New Year’s Eve, and I have no intention of going out tonight. Neither Hitomi nor I are big partiers anyway, and we’ve both been battling a cold, so we will be staying in tonight. I plan on spending at least part of the evening thinking about next year – what I want to accomplish, and how best to do it. School is part of the equation. So is getting in shape. Saying “yes” is also part of it. Yes to opportunities that come my way. Yes to trying new things. Yes to pursuing dreams. Yes to being in what John Cleese calls “open mode.”

There are also times to say “No!” One of my favorite authors is Jerry Spinelli, and one of my favorite books of his is Wringer. It’s the story of a boy learning to say “no.” I vow to be wiser in my use of “yes” and “no.” Wiser and more committed to my answer.

No

© 2011 Brian Hutzell

Something bad will happen today
Something good will happen
Someone mad could come your way
So you shouldn't be nappin'
Today is another extraordinary day
Same as all the others

No!
I say, "No!"
Whatever you have to say
I say, "No!"
You tell me to have a nice day
I say, "No!"
You want to show me the way
I say, "No!"
What is it you don't understand about "No!"?

Looky there
What does that sign say? It says, "Beware!
Keep on your toes!"
Danger lurks in well-lit hallways
Evil works in business clothes

Road kill
Another victim on the highway
Road rage
Before I even leave the driveway

A brilliant quote
From a brilliant mind:
"Never smoke another man's pipe."

Stuck
Waiting again
Why don't we move?
Why doesn't something happen?


“December Blues 9”

Brian Hutzell
from December Blues
Part 12 of MMXIII Variations

No comments: