Wednesday, December 30, 2015

"High School"


I think – I know – I have not lived up to the potential I demonstrated in high school.
I remember a Peanuts cartoon in which Linus says, “There is no burden as heavy as a great potential.” That may be true, but it’s a burden worth bearing. I think of the Kennedy’s motto “From those to whom much is given, much is expected.” I also think of the parable of the talents in the Bible (Matthew 25:14-30). I have been fortunate in life, but I have not been a good steward of my talents.

Now 2015 is nearly over. Less than two days until the New Year. I plan on spending some time tomorrow making some resolutions for 2016. One of them is to take full advantages of the advantages I’ve been given. Another is to say “Yes” more often. Yes! 2015 has been a year of being tested; it’s been a rough one. I’m back in school, though, and on track to learn and discover new things.

“Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.”
                   - Theodore Roosevelt

High School

© 1985 Brian Hutzell

Sing we now of high school
Children growing old
How'll we ever manage
Outside in the cold?
Over now is high school
Land of infant dreams
Island of enchantment
Somehow gone it seems.
On to new horizons
Unto gods unknown
To the fields to harvest
Newborn seed we've sown
Omens bad and evil
Will be overcome
Caring for each other
Once our work is done.
Me, I think it's frightening
Everyone will go
Sent away to somewhere
College for to grow
Others may be saddened
Loved ones shoved away
Lost a little further
Every lonesome day.
Given time to prosper
Elbow room to spare
Let us not be broken
I will always care.
Vented anger lost now
Inner feelings out
Now we sing of high school
Gifts are all about.



No comments: