Monday, January 18, 2016

"Zuk" – with commentary


Zuk – with commentary


“Zuk” was part of Optimistic Assumptions, the first of two instrumental collections I recorded in the early 1990s. The second collection was Anything Grows. Together, they make of a string of experimental pieces I’m quite pleased with, though some of the recordings have suffered the ravages of time. They are also among my last completed recording projects, only succeeded by the 4-song Ashley Standing demo, and the Plastic Mikey CD Cook Up Something New!  Both of those later projects were disappointing in the end; they just never measured up to expectations.

Since the mid-1990s, I have focused more on performing than either writing or recording, and that has no doubt been a tactical error, since I am better at either writing or recording than performing. I also enjoy performing less than either of the other two. I am currently entering tech week for a musical production for which I am the keyboardist and pit conductor. I didn’t really want either role, but agreed to it in a moment of weakness. The show is written by a local playwright/composer, and is not a bad show at all. In fact it is quite clever, and has gotten a lot of good press already, but I am simply not enjoying it. I think once this run ends in just three weeks, I will retire from doing things like this. When there are other people both more eager and more qualified to fill the position, why should I do it?

My interests and aspirations are evolving away from a career as a performing musician. It is a period of exploration and introspection for me. Also education! My priority at present is school, to which I have returned after an absence of many years. I’m hoping to prove that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!



Museum of Fine Arts

Boston

No comments: