Monday, January 18, 2016

"On a Scale of 1 to 10"


This is one of my few attempts to write a straight-ahead country tune. It’s not that I don’t like country music; it’s just that I’ve never been in a playing situation that required me to either perform or write much of it. There are many things I admire about country music. I just don’t seem to have much in common with most country music fans.


On a Scale of 1 to 10

© 1998 Brian Hutzell

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give you 8
That isn’t bad, but then again it isn’t great
You don’t rub my neck as often as I’d like
You wouldn’t let me name the kitten Spike
So in case you’re wondering just how well you rate
On a scale of 1 to 10, I give you 8

If I was your teacher, I'd give you B+
You’re often late; I guess you miss the bus
On your homework, I don't think you really try
You have skills you make no effort to apply
So if your grade is something you’d like to discuss
On your report card, I give you B+

I wouldn’t offer my opinion
If you hadn't asked me to
I hope you don’t think I’m being too critical of you
I don’t think you're perfect
No, I don’t think you’re a saint
But when it comes to loving me,
There’s no room for complaint

On a scale of 1 to 10, we come out fine
I think we’ve earned at least an 8 or 9
Many times we reach a perfect score
And hardly ever dip below 4
So in case you’re wondering if we pass the test
On a scale of 1 to 10
Now please don’t ask again
On a scale of 1 to 10, we beat the best



No comments: