Sunday, January 10, 2016

"Pieces"


I have lyric ideas scattered across numerous notebooks, journals, pads of paper, and running amok in my head. From time to time, I gather up a few of the fragments and pile them all together, just to see what emerges. The first time I tried this, the result was “Pieces.” Since then, there have been several “Pieces” sequels, as well as the Cut Pieces collection, and other experimental works, all following up on this original “Pieces” piece.

Current listening: Return to Forever, No Mystery

Pieces

© 1985 Brian Hutzell

Pieces
I live in pieces
Part of me
Three o’clock in the night
Breakdown after twilight
I need my medicine
Passing over bridges
He walks down 8th Street every day
She works
Hey!
Part
Hey!
Have you heard his latest song?
They’ve been playing it all night long
I can’t sing it for you but I liked the tune
It meant nothing to me but I liked the beat
Love
Yes, I have a friend
When I travel I get bored
Driving in my ugly car
So I stop beside the road
And put some bugs in a jar
I put the jar beside me in the co-pilot’s seat
Pieces
My girlfriend ran away
With a man from the CIA
She used my VISA to charge the plane
And there’s no way I can pay
I have a very special skill
Artistic drive enough to kill
Originality in hand
I am the only living man
Bending paper clips as a craft
Pieces
”Bend!” he hissed savagely
Bend!
Aborted princes
Seafood in Japan
Bend!
Muffled aardvarks
Singing in the rain
Des Moines in my groin
Pieces
I live in pieces
Part of me
Love!
Part of me
Hey!
Part of me
Bend!
Part of me
Pieces
Part of me is partially responsible
For parts of me that I can’t understand



“FP1 – Chroma”

Brian Hutzell
From Fase Phour
Part 4 of MMXIII Variations

No comments: