Tuesday, November 03, 2015

"Speak Another Language"


I’ve always enjoyed making up silly words. When I conceived the idea for Make a Thwinting Sound, the first thing I thought up was the word “Thwinting.” Then I had this word but didn’t know what to do with it. I didn’t know whether to use it in the context of art or music. So I did both. And worked in some of my trademark footprints as well. For individual “song” titles, I made up more silly words. But not these. “Plit,” “ploo,” and “plurp” have been part of my vocabulary for as long as I can remember. One other piece from Make a Thwinting Sound also uses a word dating back to my grade school years at Woodlawn Elementary, “Kerfloofleflorf.”

Speak Another Language

© 2004 Brian Hutzell

I shaved my mustache
Sliced it right off
I gave up smoking
So I wouldn’t cough
I’ve changed my wardrobe
And dyed my hair
I’m your chameleon
But you don’t care

I can’t understand you
Do you understand me?
Why don’t you understand me?
Is it my language?
I don’t know any other language
Maybe I need to learn something new
Try a different language
Speak another language


“Plit Ploo Plurp”

Brian Hutzell
from Make a Thwinting Sound

No comments: