Monday, November 23, 2015

"Look"


When Hitomi and I moved to Round Lake and bought a townhouse, it was the beginning of a long downward spiral that just seems to keep spinning lower and lower. Every time I think we’ve hit rock bottom, it turns out I’m wrong, and we sink even further into the hole. We moved from Round Lake to Cambridge, and I dabbled with being an artist. I am a dilettante for sure! But my love for art is real, even if my talent isn’t. When we stupidly left Cambridge, I got rid of all my art supplies, along with some musical equipment, all of which I wish I had back in my possession. What was I thinking?!?

Also in Cambridge, I wrote a few songs, and picked up the trombone again after a long spell away from it. Even since then, I’ve been inexcusably inconsistent with my practicing. Lately, I’ve been doing pretty well with the euphonium, but my goal of practicing 3 hours every day is so hopelessly off schedule, that I will never catch up. And now I have school to worry about. This term is really wearing on me. I’m having second, third, and fourth thoughts about continuing with it at all anywhere.


Look

© 2001 Brian Hutzell

Look
Look around
See the town
See the ground
These words mean nothing
Have no rhythm
Make no sound
Break no hearts
Look!
The sky is falling
But no one cares
No one fears
The end is near
No one looks
They never did
They never will
The sight is beautiful
At last
So beautiful
Slipping into the past
At last
I look
And see the sun going down
To the ground
To the Earth
I have found

“Look”

Brian Hutzell
from Brand New Bouncing Suit


No comments: