Sunday, November 08, 2015

"She Called Me Love"


Wally wrote the words, then he and I put the music together in a Berklee practice room. The chord structure is very odd. In fact, the whole song is very odd, which is probably why I like it so much. While living in Revere, we tried to make a 4-track recording of it, out first attempt at multi-tracking, and it was only moderately successful. I’d write more about it, except that I just ate supper at my parents’ house, and as is usual on such occasions, I ate way too much. One of Mops’ specialties called “pizza noodle casserole.” Too tasty. Now all I can think about is how stuffed I feel. I’m trying to lose weight, but a meal like tonight’s is going completely the wrong direction. Call me The Blob. Meanwhile, I wish I still had all the tapes I made in Revere.


She Called Me Love

© 1983 Brian Hutzell and Wally Koekebakker


It is deep the night
Where I have thought I might
Perhaps steal into the moonlit sky
The snow is new-fallen and divine
Remolding this ugly cityscape
For my eyes pleasure

I breathe the fresh air
And I am enjoyed
I see the world healthy, am enlivened
Suddenly I see rebirth

Like my footprints tailed in the snow
And my fingers touch the first cold
As a child
And I blow upon them
My lungs shiver
My lips crack
But it is in smiling

It is life, that important touch
That I once loved and left
She has been abused, yes by my hand
Yet she has not shunned me
I have held her close
She is more than I have known
For the longest time
And it's not too late

“Beat Poultry”

Brian Hutzell
from Brand New Bouncing Suit

No comments: