Tuesday, September 30, 2014

"Chess Game"



"Chess Game"
© 2002 Brian Hutzell
left panel:        14 x 3-1/4 x 3/4 inches
middle panel: 12-1/8 x 10-3/4 x 1/4 inches
right panel:     15 x 3-3/8 x 3/4 inches
milk paint on wood

Chess Game”: three separate pieces of wood all designed to hang together as a single work of art. There are several such multi-part pieces in my oeuvre. I’m not sure why I titled this one as I did; it has nothing to do with chess. While I’m talking about chess, however, I’d like to take this opportunity to say a few words about “Chess,” the musical. I hate it. I’ve never seen it, but I hate it. I love the music, but the story is too bleak and bitter for my taste, which is too bad, since the score is often quite beautiful. It has the benefit of having music written by two songwriting heroes of mine: Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson of ABBA, which makes it all the more disappointing for me that the book is so nasty.

No comments: