Sunday, September 28, 2014

Short pieces about my art: "Hansel"



When I first moved back to Des Moines from Boston in 1991, it was to do some shows at the Ingersoll Dinner Theater, now defunct. This was all after the IDT produced my first, and to date only, full-length musical, “A Heart Calls Quietly.” That title was not my choice; it was the choice of Charles Carnes, the owner and producer of the IDT. The show was not very good, but I was still proud of it. I intended to follow it up with several other musicals I had in mind, but I’ve never finished any of them. The only other shows I’ve completed were 3 children’s shows in collaboration with Carol smith. We wrote “The Dancing Princesses,” “The Brave Little Tailor,” and “Hansel and Gretel.” Only the first of those has been produced. I don’t even know what happened to the others. Carol has since had a stroke, which is a terrible piece of luck, as she is not much older than me.

No comments: