Saturday, September 27, 2014

Short pieces about my art: "Barefoot Boy"



"Barefoot Boy"
© 2002 Brian Hutzell
2 panels: 3-5/8 x 26 x 3/4 inches each
milk paint on wood

“Barefoot Boy” was named for Gene Janowski, now deceased. He was a former professional skater, but was well past his prime when I met him. Gene had alcohol problems, smoking, problems, weight problems, and was eccentric by nearly any measure. Still, he was a nice guy. I was sad but not surprised when I heard he’d passed away; he looked terrible the last time I saw him in Chicago, three years ago. It was through Gene that I met Ticklish, and through Ticklish that I met Scott, an S&M master. Gene also introduced me to Skeeter, another member of Chicago’s foot fetish community, and Milan, with whom I am still in touch. At least one other member of that circle has also recently died, Charlie. Time marches on.

No comments: