Monday, September 29, 2014

Short pieces about my art: "Socrates"


"Socrates"
© 2002 Brian Hutzell
2 panels: 14-5/8 x 5-1/2 x 3/4 inches each
milk paint on wood

Socrates – truly an intellectual giant, and a legend among legends. When I first returned to college at the University of Massachusetts in Boston, I needed to fill a humanities requirement, and did so with a class called “Jesus, Socrates and Buddha.” I didn’t expect much of the class other than 3 credit hours. Turns out it was a fascinating class taught by Michael LaFargue, and the first of many classes I took at U. Mass in the Religious Studies department. I even toyed with going on to a earn Masters Degree at a divinity school (Harvard, perhaps?) Alas, that’s just one more lead I never followed up on. I have far too many bits of unfinished business in my life. Now I'm studying and preparing to take admissions tests for grad school, but I still have no idea what school or what major. 

No comments: