Sunday, September 28, 2014

Short pieces about my art: "Francis"


"Francis"
© 2002 Brian Hutzell
5-1/4 x 23-1/2 x 1-3/8 inches
milk paint on wood

“Francis,” for St. Francis of Assisi. I don’t know too much about him, except that he liked animals and was usually barefoot. At least according to legend, that is. What little I know comes from the movie “Brother Sun, Sister Moon,” which I saw for the first time when I was living in Boston in the 1980s. I saw a lot of movies back then, at a lot of theaters that are no longer there: Nickelodeon, Off the Wall, Orson Welles, Sack Paris, Sack Cheri, Pi Alley, Sack 57, etc. That’s when I discovered that popcorn and apple cider were made for each other. I miss those days. The segment of my life I think about most fondly was 1983-1990, my first stay in Boston and environs. I lived at Berklee, Mission Hill, Revere, South End, North End, Medford, then South End again. Now I am in Des Moines, which is not a bad place, but if anyone dropped a million dollars in my lap, I'd probably move back east. So far, though, no one is stepping up with that offer.

No comments: