Monday, September 29, 2014

Short pieces about my art: "Johnny Appleseed"



"Johnny Appleseed"
© 2002 Brian Hutzell
2 panels, each 3-5/8 x 39 x 3/4 inches
milk paint on wood

Here’s one for “Johnny Appleseed,” legendary barefoot nomad, and a colorful character in the Great American Mythology. I recently read a biography about him, and about the myth surrounding him. It was probably a lot more accurate, but a lot less interesting than a book I read about him as a kid. I go through spells of wanting to be very normal, and blend nicely into fine society. Other times, I feel like I would be happier following the Johnny Appleseed mold, and living unabashedly outside commonly accepted standards of normality. Steve Jobs was a character who managed to do both. Somehow it was not surprising to find out that he was also most comfortable barefoot. If I ever do another barefoot piece, I should name it “Steve.” 

No comments: