Tuesday, February 16, 2016

"Dinky Dunky Donkey Flunky"


The most unpleasant thing about getting older is that things hurt. There is no reason for them to hurt, yet they do. My back, my feet, my shoulder, my neck, my teeth, and my knees all have their moments of random pain. Most of these aches and pains come on unannounced with no apparent cause. In the event that I hurt myself my banging into something or tripping clumsily, any injury I do to myself seems to take forever to heal. And I get tired far too quickly and easily. Then there are the wrinkles and the dry skin and the flabby gut and the slightly receding hair line and receding gum line. Don’t even get me started on failing memory and eyesight!

Worst of all is the temperamental muse. I used to be able to write songs all the time. These days unless I really force myself to write, it doesn’t happen. There is perhaps some consolation in the fact that as a result of this predicament, I am developing more discipline as a writer. I try to do it regularly. I set both time and word count goals for myself. Even a weird little ditty like “Dinky Dunky Donkey Flunky” represents an accomplishment of some sort.

My writing these days tends to be things other than songs, though I am getting some bonus mileage out of old lyrics by using them as starting points for these blog posts.

Side note: I just ate some crackers and cheese that didn’t go very well together and left a nasty taste in my mouth. I’m going to make some tea.

Current listening: David Cassidy, Rock Me Baby

Dinky Dunky Donkey Flunky

© 2011 Brian Hutzell

Hey hey
I’m a donkey
Just monkey-fucking around
Scrawling my fragmented ravings
Howling at the joon mune
Whistling a slappy toon


“Magic”

Brian Hutzell

No comments: