Tuesday, February 02, 2016

"Later...In the Morning"


I am taking a class called Introduction to Art at Upper Iowa University. My own attempts at making art have been experiments in self-expression more than anything else. I make no claim to be a serious artist. My collages were created using Photoshop to match, patch, and blend some of my physical art made with marker, colored pencil, and milk paint into oddball digital creations like the one seen here. Fun for me to do, and I don’t care what anyone else thinks of them.

That’s not true, of course. Anyone who makes something wants that something to be appreciated. While I don’t expect anyone to pay millions of dollars for my art at auction, I do hope my artworks are interesting enough to generate a smile or two. Nevertheless, My main interest in taking this art class is to learn more about the truly great artists, their work, and their place in history. I like to discover and write about fine art and its relation to philosophy, religion, and society.

And the lyrics? They tell the true story of a night I spent with a groupie back when I was playing in a rock band. It was actually a wonderful experience, for which I am forever grateful.


Later...In the Morning

© Brian Hutzell and Wally Koekebakker 1989


Words that I'm looking for
Thoughts that grow less secure
As all the time we shared floats on by
And I am consumed in your fire

Coffee arousing me
Breakfast in bed for free
I see the shirt you're wearing is mine
You look at me and smile

Last night you ran my bath
And made me laugh
You wrote poetry
While I was asleep

I nervously begin
Explaining the state I'm in
Not in the market for anything serious
You say, "Go back to bed
I think you've been misled
We made some sparks between us
But don't assume it's fire"


"Collage 2"

Brian Hutzell

No comments: