Sunday, February 21, 2016

"Gay Broadway"


If you are not familiar with Klaus Nomi, drop whatever you are doing and go listen to him. You can find him on Spotify, YouTube, Amazon, iTunes, etc. Unfortunately, you will not be able to see him perform in person, as he was one of the first celebrities to succumb to AIDS way back in 1983. Those of us who lived through the 1980s know what a scary time it was to move in gay circles in any of the larger US cities. Reagan and the Moral Majority refused to acknowledge AIDS, or if they did, it was to celebrate the disease as God’s vengeance on homosexuals. Religious bigotry and political shortsightedness cost far too many lives. There has always been a segment of the population who insist that they know exactly what God is thinking, and unsurprisingly it is always exactly the same thing these zealots are thinking in their own narrow minds. We can do better than that. We must do better.

Current listening: Klaus Nomi, Klaus Nomi

Gay Broadway

© 2011 Brian Hutzell

I pull a hyphen from my rear
And I put it right here
Nathan Lane is queer
My hair is over my ears
There are many other queers
On Broadway!
Gay Broadway!

Finally there are words
And they fly like birds
Frisky birds and bees
I'm really rather pleased
That the lines I sneezed
Found a home with the queens
Stealing all the best scenes
On Broadway!
Gay Broadway!

I could write more
But I must close the door
There's going to be a song
Before long!



"Flags"

Brian Hutzell

No comments: