Monday, July 06, 2015

"Covering All The BASS-es"

Covering All The BASS-es

© 2013 Brian Hutzell

I’ve been in an artsy mood lately. Just finished reading The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson, which is about a family of performance artists. (The book even mentions Chris Burden!) Now I’ve moved on to 33 Artists in 3 Acts by Sarah Thornton. Visual art inspires my music and vice-versa, and they both inspire my writing.

As a kid, I loved drawing and doodling, but never pursued art as a career until moving to Cambridge, Massachusetts in 2001. That was where I began making my footprint art, which culminated with a solo art show called “Barefoot in the City” in the Drive-by Gallery at Cambridge Community Television. (Thank you, David Zermeno!) It was a tiny show, true, but it was a start.

These days, I’m experimenting more and more with ways to combine music, visual art, and writing. I also like combining new digital technology with more “primitive” practices. A lot of my writing still begins with pencil on paper. I make frequent us of markers and colored pencil. My footprint art was mostly done with milk paint, which truly is primitive. Then I throw them all together with the use of a camera, scanner, photocopier, and computer; add some element of randomness, and see what comes out.


I guess that covers all the bases.


No comments: