Friday, July 10, 2015

"A Chorus Pine"

Malcolm Gladwell, in Outliers, says a person needs to invest 10,000 hours before becoming great at anything. I just read in Ray Bradbury’s Zen in the Art of Writing that he wrote 1000 words every day for ten years before writing a decent story. With a blog, a person (me, for example) can go through the learning process right out in public.

I’m using old song lyrics as starting points for my blog posts. I began writing songs in earnest sometime in high school. A family friend, Steve, who was older and wiser than I, as well as being a fellow musician and songwriter, got me started copywriting my songs. In the beginning, I was certain those songs would be the paving stones for my road to fame and fortune. (Strained metaphor, anyone?)

Nope. But it seems a shame to let them rot in obscurity. By bringing them out of hiding and using them as cornerstones for little blog buildings, I give them new life. Is it a good life? Probably not, since I’m nowhere near my first 10,000 hours as a writer. And as a musician? In my case, 10,000 wasn’t enough!

A Chorus Pine

© 2011 Brian Hutzell

First it’s “yes”
Then it’s “no”
Then it’s “I don’t know”
First it’s “stay”
Then it’s “go”
God, I need a show!



"Adidas"
Brian Hutzell

No comments: