Sunday, July 12, 2015

"Closing the Deal"

For years, I had a cassette that Wally sent me in the mid-1980s. It was filled with parts, idea, and song fragments, mostly recorded at his mom’s house on an old out-of-tune piano. (When I first head Durutti Column’s song, “Piece for an Out of Tune Grand Piano,” I thought of wally.) Whenever I needed a creativity boost, I would turn to that tape and find something to work on. “Scarlet,” “Later…In The Morning,” “From My Point of View,” “Half as Bad,” “The Rest of My Life,” and many others were all born from seeds on that tape. As was “Closing the Deal.” I recorded five of these long-distance collaborations on my cassette, “Wally and Brian,” and a few more trickled out in coming years. I had planned to record many more, and also write many more, but that’s about the time A Heart Calls Quietly intervened. I’ve left a lot of projects unfinished over the years. My bad.

Closing the Deal

© 1989 Wally Koekebakker and Brian Hutzell

It took me down
And I don’t know which way to go
It took me down
When I thought I was in control

Closing the deal is the hardest part
Closing the deal--another door slammed on my heart

Thought I was prepared
For the situation
But I got scared
In negotiations

Closing the deal, I lost my shirt
Closing the deal, only one of us got hurt
Closing the deal, you made out like a bandit
Closing the deal, is this how you planned it?

Now I look at you with new respect
Because you kept your cool
And I admire the way you played the jilted maid in the courtroom
Very effective
The judge was so receptive

He put me down
And I don’t know which was is up
You took me down
To your level
Now I’m gonna get rough

Closing the deal, it isn’t over till it’s over
Closing the deal, the final foreclosure
Closing the deal, you got what you wanted
Closing the deal, now you’re living as one of the hunted



No comments: