Saturday, July 04, 2015

"Chosen By a Stranger"

Of all the songs I’ve written and recorded, the one for which I’ve received the most positive feedback is “I’ve Been Eating Giblets,” which appeared on my cassette, Spring 88. That was made when I was living in Medford, and working at BCD (Boston Compact Disc), one of the first CD stores in the country. I worked there with Jeremiah Sullivan, former lead singer and songwriter for the band JEREMIAH. It was a fun job, and through it, I was exposed to a lot of music I hadn’t previously heard. The Smiths, The Wild Swans, The Housemartins, Propaganda, Act, and many others. BDC is also where I found one of my most prized CDs, “From Brussels With Love.”

Spring 88 was the best collection of songs I’d recorded up to that point, and possibly right on up to the present. Some of my best songs are there, like “Anything” and “Praying Mantis.” It also included a second version of one of my personal favorites, “Simple Toys,” which first came out on my cassette October 1985. The songwriting team of Vin & Brian debuted on Spring 88 with “New Life,” “Manifest Destiny” and “Take Me For a Fool.” Two other songs recorded during that same period but cut from the final selection are “The Coldest Day of the Winter” and “Sending the Message.”

But the song that everybody seems to love is “I’ve Been Eating Giblets.” It’s a super simple little ditty, with a catchy instrumental hook, fun words, and bouncy beat. “Chosen by a Stranger” is an attempt to recreate a similarly simple but effective song. I don’t think I quite succeeded, but I still like this one a lot.

Chosen By a Stranger

© Brian Hutzell 1987


Certain circumstances led to my exchanging glances
With a girl across the room, and I noticed she was cute
Other things considered, I can say my mind was littered
With emotions of defeat cause I knew I'd never meet
That girl because my new in-laws
Would not approve of any danger
To a marriage chosen by a stranger

Studied pre-arrangements have created combinations
That were never meant to be
How did this happen to me?
I've reached the conclusion that the cause of this confusion
Stems from my unwillingness to promote my interests
Questions go unanswered
So I guess I'm going to have to change
Or learn to love what's chosen by a stranger

Making decisions doesn't bother me at all
The problem comes from critics of my choice
So often I would like to just get up and quit
Those are the times I lose my voice

Given these assumptions, it appears that my consumption
Of medicinal liquor is a habit I endure
For reasons notwithstanding, obligations are demanding
That I keep myself alert at the risk of getting hurt
I want someone to get things done
I need to find a new arranger
Probably someone chosen by a stranger


No comments: