Friday, March 04, 2016

"My World"


I believe this to be one of the best songs I ever wrote. It came to me in the late 1980s, and was always intended for a female singer (as was “Anything.”) At about the same time, I was reading Lewis Carroll’s Sylvie and Bruno and Sylvie and Bruno Concluded, and writing some songs loosely based on ideas from that book. “Less Bread! More Taxes!” might have been the first one. I hadn’t intended to make a stage show out of those songs, but eventually they morphed into the show I first called Sylvie and Bruno then The Best Time for Magic and eventually A Heart Calls Quietly (my least favorite of the three titles.)


My World

© 1989 Brian Hutzell

Used to be I'd dream of princes and kings
Now I dream of more attainable things
I've become older and more realistic
Sometimes I miss my fantasies
Pushed out to make room for reality.

Used to be the future seemed far away
Now the time I dreamed about is today
Funny but it doesn't seem to be mystic
I don't see any magic here
Where's my cavalier?
Why'd he disappear from my world?

There in my world he would come to me
Take me away off to be his queen.

Dress me in the finest elegant clothes
Regally sitting upon my throne
I was surrounded by knights and magicians
I never thought of fairy tales
As anything else but a way of life.

But there has been a change in my world
Somewhere I lost the trust of a little girl
Little girl I think I am, I don't know
Little pleasures I enjoy in my world
Will they vanish, as I'm told, when I'm older?
Left in the past as I mature
Bad things, I have learned, exist in my world

Used to be the future seemed far away
Now the time I dreamed about is today
More and more often I stray from my kingdom
Soon the gates won't open for me
Where will I be
When I leave my world?



Ingersoll Dinner Theater, 1990

No comments: