Sunday, November 02, 2014

“The Band Played On”


“The Band Played On”
© 2002 Brian Hutzell
11 x 8-1/2 inches
milk paint on cardboard


In 1984, I joined a Boston band named JEREMIAH, named after its lead singer, Jeremiah Sullivan. I was 19. The band did fairly well for awhile, and its manager, Bob Rein, had big plans for it. He seemed to like me, and I felt like I’d been hand-picked for stardom. Unfortunately, the band fell apart for a number of reasons. In retrospect, it’s easy to see a few things the band as a whole, and I as a part of the whole, should have done differently. Stardom eluded me then, as it has ever since. Still I keep hoping there may be a brilliant bright star waiting for me somewhere. These days, I am much less sure of my career path. I was hell-bent on becoming a rock ’n’ roll success story for so long, that finding a different path is difficult and frustrating. I feel lost at sea, not only without a rudder, but without a boat!

No comments: